Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Androo's Gear: #1

This is my first official, relevant, blog post. I play the electric guitar and as an avid rock fan I am always trying to expand my ever growing family of instruments and adjoining gear. My main axes are my 2002 Ibanez RG1550MZ and my just recently purchased 2008 Gibson Slash Signature Les Paul Standard. I couldn't be happier with these guitars. They are so vastly different from each other that I cannot simply ignore one for the other. Although I have to say, having the Les Paul I have lowered my original quality idea that I had of my Ibanez by tenfolds unfortunately. I play these through a cheap Zoom effects pedal, soon to be replaced by a Krank Distortus Maximus. Then into my Fender FM212R twin-amp which I'm actually quite proud of. Very powerful, very clean with very classy looks.

Today I will be introducing my Ibanez to the world:


My Ibanez RG1550MZ was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant, Japan
2002
Production Number: 16796

The above information I got by submitting my guitar's serial number (found on the back of the headstock) in the awesome Guitar Dater Project website. Therefore my guitar was, as stated, made in Japan, in 2002. It was also the 16,796th made in the RG series. I purchased this guitar in 2005 and I was quite pleased to know that my guitar is even older (I'm a sucker for old guitars!).


The guitar features a bolt on maple neck. I doesn't have a specific fret-board, the frets are glued directly into the neck. It has 24 frets rather than the conventional 22 as well as having jumbo frets for extra accuracy. It has a floating tremolo system, the Floyd Rose tremolo as well as a locking nut. The Floyd Rose is the guitar's major Pro and Con. Because of the Floyd Rose I can change the pitch of the notes to my exact liking instantly as well as create cool effects. But it is the biggest pain in the ass to change the strings. While on a locking tremolo system you can change strings in second this will take you literally almost 20 minutres to change all the strings and tune them correctly.

I am also proud of the guitar's pickup combination (H-S-H) as well as it's five switch positions. It can do the muddiest of metal and the cleanest of acoustics! A cool little touch is the pickguard binding. Breaks the whole black-monotony!

Now for the tiny blemishes in the guitar! The only thing I really hate, and I mean loathe, about it is that because of the jumbo frets, couple with the low action of the Floyd Rose tremolo system I get some small buzzing on some of the strings. I had to higher the action which isn't to my taste whatsoever. I am also unhappy with the number of control knobs on the Ibanez. Only 2. One volume, one tone. The people at Ibanez bascially gave those who buy this guitar no option to customize the humbuckers and the pickup to their respective choices. Nope, you have one setting for all of them.

Let me add that I named her Black Beauty back in 2005. I now know that Gibson have an Ebony Les Paul Custom, with a three humbucker configuration that they named Black Beauty (from the 50s/60s) as well. I have to admit that Gibson's BB is much more of a beauty than mine. But all that in my next gear introduction when I introduce my Gibson Slash Signature Les Paul Standard.

Thanks for reading,
Roo

No comments: