Thursday, September 11, 2008

Androo's Top 10: Videogames - #9

To be honest I have been wrecking my mind for this position. I just couldn't decide. I hope that I've made the right decision. 

----------

The #9 spot goes to: Rachet & Clank 1. 2 and 3 

Yep, another series, this time by Naughty Dog's best buddies Insomniac. Just like Naughty Dog Insomniac sold it's PS1 Spyro the Dragon lincenses to Activision to focus on it's PS2 project: Rachet & Clank. The weasel and his robot buddy worked wonders for Sony. This was pure platforming genious. Players took control of Rachet with his trusty sidekick Clank destroying everything in sight. And guess what? It was fun. Insomniac proved that blood wasn't necessary to make a game fun (I'm looking at your dumbfucks GTA fans). The PS2 offered the developers more room to play with. The end result was a platformer so deep, so engrossing, that even diehard RPG fans could go to bed with the series. 

Another aspect that makes the whole series pure classics was the fact that Insomniac, even though the PS2 could do much much more in the 3D department than the PS1, they opted for stylish graphics instead of over the top realism. This worked so well that the games still look good today, 8 years later. [Oh and by the way, the picture is from the PS3 version. I haven't played it yet but I'm sure it's spectacular. I couldn't find a siutable screenshot of the PS2 games.] They were also drop dead funny. Rachet was incompetent and Clank was the genious. That's a recipe for gold right there! If you haven't played these games you cannot call yourself a gamer. Period.
----------

I wish I still had my PS2 to play these. I sold it to buy the Wii. I'm happy that I did but still, I won't turn down a cheap offer for a PS2. In fact, even though I sold the console I kept the third game in the R&C series as well as another game that will make it's appearance way down in this list. I'll give you $10 if you can guess what it is. I'm sure you won't.

Roo

2 comments:

VuZuW said...

Is it Shadow of the Colossus?

Androo said...

*rolls eyes* ...dunno...